What is trauma-informed therapy? Trauma-informed care is an all-encompassing approach for providing psychological care. It is especially important in learning more about why or how an addiction forms. A trauma therapy program in Northern IL has a team of treatment specialists that have been trained in how to identify and treat trauma.
One of the key components in the success of trauma informed therapy is that a treatment center provides programs, facilities, and a full staff that can accommodate a trauma a victim. The entire organization must be ready to help a client – not just a single therapist or individual.
When you receive the proper care you need for post-traumatic stress disorder or other mental health issues, then you can finally heal from your past.
What is Trauma Informed Therapy?
Several core principles define trauma informed therapy, such as:
- The treatment environment must be safe and therapeutic
- Recognizing trauma-related symptoms that are related to the traumatic event
- Recovery from trauma must be the underlying goal
- Facilities must provide trauma management skills that work in real life
- The focus of trauma informed therapy is the strengths and abilities of the client
- Trauma therapy is collaborative – the client and therapy team work together
When applied correctly, all of these principles give a treatment team the necessary tools they need to provide superior care. Trauma informed therapy can be a powerful approach to addressing both PTSD and drug or alcohol addiction. If you are currently the victim of a traumatic event, then you should seek a trauma therapy program in Northern IL that provides trauma informed therapy.
How Does Trauma-Focused Therapy Work?
Trauma informed therapy naturally focuses on the client’s trauma and establishes that as the basis of all evidence-based addiction treatment or holistic addiction treatment. A therapist draws a direct line between any addictions or mental disorders that a client has and the traumatic event.
Thus, a treatment center that is trauma-informed exhibits the following characteristics:
- It understands how widespread the impact of trauma can be
- It recognizes the symptoms of trauma in both a client and their family
- Provides the right response (treatment plan) for addressing trauma
- It seeks to eliminate or reduce future symptoms of the trauma
Last, a treatment center also educates the client on how to avoid specific traumas in the future. For instance, if a person was the victim of physical abuse in a marriage in the past, a treatment specialist can educate the victim on how to avoid sexual abuse in the future. They provide encouragement, empowerment, and full support to the victim.
Learn More about Trauma-Focused Therapy
What is trauma informed therapy? Find out more at Northern Illinois Recovery Center. We offer comprehensive care at our trauma therapy program in Northern IL. We can help you overcome your symptoms while living a fuller, happier life. To find out more about our treatment options, call us at 855.786.1978. We also provide treatment for alcohol and drug addiction.