The 12 step program has become a powerful tool that helps you overcome your addiction to drugs or alcohol. If you follow the Northern IL 12 step program, you will find healing as you recover from substance abuse. It is a proven approach that has helped millions of people get back on their feet and live a life free from addiction. The 12 step program in Northern IL can help you.
Northern Illinois Recovery Center offers the 12 step program as a part of our group therapy program. We help you connect with a support group where you can learn from others and share your story. We can help you break the cycle of addiction.
What Are the Stages of the 12-Step Program?
The 12 step model works for almost any addiction, whether it is alcohol or drugs. The steps include the following:
- Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Step 3: Decided to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Step 4: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Step 5: Admitted to God, ourselves, and another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Step 7: Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Step 8: Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Step 9: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when would injure them or others.
- Step 10: Continued to take personal inventory and, when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and practice these principles in all our affairs.
Benefits of the 12 Step Program
One of the benefits of the 12 step program is that it is a widely known and established treatment option. Groups that meet together are organized and have a specific purpose based on the same 12 steps. So, you can meet with any group and expect the same program.
Another benefit is that you have support from an endless network of peers across Northern Illinois. You can always turn to someone for encouragement and a meeting happening somewhere close to you.
Last, there is no timeline for the completion of the 12 steps. Although you should accomplish each step sequentially, no rule states that you must complete the program by a certain deadline. You may discover that your path to completion lasts a lifetime. What is important is that you never leave the path.
Most meetings are free. All you have to do is show up. Other programs you may also consider are:
All of these therapies and others are available to individuals in our addiction treatment programs.
Get Started with a 12 Step Program Today at Northern Illinois Recovery Center
If you would like to learn more about the 12 step program at Northern Illinois Recovery Center, contact us today. We can help you find a support group so that you can get started with your steps. Alongside 12 step treatment, we offer several other programs to help those struggling with a substance use disorder, such as:
- Residential treatment
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Outpatient treatment
- Sober living
Call us at 855.786.1978 to begin your treatment.