Getting off drugs is a fantastic first step in your journey for a sober lifestyle and future. It takes a lot of perseverance and determination to come as far as you have, and you should be commended for it. Many people don’t even get to this point yet, which means it is a great sign that you are here. However, at the same, there are risks that everyone must be on guard against. It’s vital to know the warning signs of relapse. Northern Illinois Recovery Center offers programs and treatments to help individuals and their families do all they can to prevent relapse.
Warning Signs Of Relapse
When you start on the pathway to healing, you never intend to relapse. Everyone thinks (or hopes) they will simply stay sober after detox and not relapse. But there is a chance of relapse, so it’s helpful to be aware of the warning signs of relapse. These warning signs may include:
- Emotional Upheaval In Your Life: If you are dealing with emotional difficulty in your life right now, then there is a chance you could relapse. When your trauma or difficulties strike your life, then you are more prone to turning to drugs for relief. Many people use drugs to self-medicate, but it only makes their problems worse in the end.
- Doing A Different Gateway Drug: If you think that doing a different “legal” substance will be OK, and you won’t be affected by it, then you are likely on the way to relapsing. These other substances often serve as gateway drugs.
- Isolation: A support system is critical for your recovery. If you begin to isolate yourself, then you won’t have the accountability of loved ones and therapists. It’s vital not to isolate yourself because then you may slip back into using drugs again.
- Negative Self-Talk: Negativity is a warning sign that you could be on the road to using again. It is crucial to keep positivity in your life. Negative self-talk is harmful and can make you feel hopeless.
- Associating With Harmful Influences: If you had old friends in the past that you used to do drugs with, then it’s not healthy to continue associating with them unless they quit too. They could influence you to start using drugs again.
Preventing relapse is not as complicated as it may seem. Surround yourself with positive influences and people who will support your goals for growth. Also, it’s vital to attend regular rehab therapy sessions so that you can grow as a person and learn the strategies for success. Some of these therapy programs include:
- Dialectical behavioral therapy treatment
- Individual therapy treatment
- Group therapy treatment
- EMDR treatment
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy treatment
- Family therapy treatment
Through a robust therapy program and a support system, you can delve into what led to your addiction to begin with.
Seek Treatment For Addiction Today
If you are experiencing any warning signs of relapse, don’t put off seeking treatment. You can find help by going to a quality rehab facility like Northern Illinois Recovery Center. As you begin the healing process, you will discover the joy and peace that comes with being free from drugs.
Our compassionate therapists will be on hand to provide quality programs to help you along the way. Some of these addiction treatment programs are as follows:
- Partial hospitalization treatment program
- Medication-assisted treatment program
- Intensive outpatient treatment program
- Sober living treatment program
- Drug Rehab treatment program
Don’t let a substance abuse steal your dreams. Now that you know more about the warning signs of relapse, you can find hope by participating in a rehab center. Contact Northern Illinois Recovery Center at 855.786.1978, and we’ll get you on the path to recovery today.