The motivational interviewing therapy program at Northern Illinois Recovery Center is designed to stimulate your motivation to end your addiction. We focus on helping you explore and resolve any ambivalence you have toward changing your thinking and your behavior. Once you get past the barriers to successful addiction recovery, you can begin your treatment.
Motivational interviewing is an introductory therapy that we utilize as a part of our cognitive behavioral therapy program in Northern IL. It is a short-term type of pretreatment that gives you the incentive you need to move forward with your recovery plan. Once you work through all the reasons you do not want to quit, then you are free to get on the road to recovery once and for all.
Why It Is So Hard to End Your Addiction
If you are like most people who have an addiction, you know that you have an addiction. You may even see that you need to quit and all the reasons why. However, something is blocking your motivation. It may be one of three reasons, including:
- It’s Not That Bad: You may reason in your mind that your addiction is not as bad as everyone around you is saying it is. They may not fully ‘understand’ your use of alcohol or drug. Therefore, they rush to judgment. Your substance use is not all that bad.
- It Feels Too Good: Let’s face it. You enjoy using your substance of choice. Enjoy the way it makes you feel. You also enjoy associating your substance use with specific events or social activities. The mental or emotional connection that you make with drugs or alcohol is too strong.
- Uncertainty of Quitting: What will happen if you quit drinking or taking drugs? What will your life be like without that connection or feeling? Will you even be the same person? You may also be afraid of the physical consequences such as withdrawal or cravings.
How Does a Motivational Interviewing Therapy Program Work?
The most important thing to understand in motivational therapy is that it is a short-term introductory type of treatment. Once you conclude that you need help ending your addiction, then you will move on to your treatment, beginning with detox and transitioning into rehab and aftercare.
During your motivational interviewing therapy program in Northern IL with your specialist, several key items should be maintained throughout pretreatment.
- No one can force you to get motivated – only you can do that
- You must resolve any ambivalence before you can move forward
- Your therapist is merely a guide who helps you recognize your need for change
- Change comes about as a result of a decision – not something in your DNA
- Your therapist is your partner who helps you discover the truth about your addiction
Your therapist will talk to you about your concerns, issues, and fears. You may also discuss why you are in this session, to begin with. They can help you focus on the behaviors and negative thinking that you want to change. Your therapist can give you the confidence you need to change. Furthermore, you and your therapist can develop a recovery plan that will help you end your addiction and get you on the path to recovery.
Schedule a Motivational Interviewing Therapy Session Today
If you are ready to take the first step toward recovery from drug or alcohol addiction, then contact Northern Illinois Recovery Center. We offer comprehensive substance abuse treatment. In each of our various programs, we provide individuals with thorough and innovative addiction therapy options to support them in their recovery. To find out more about our motivational interviewing therapy program, call us at 855.786.1978.