The life skills training program at Northern Illinois Recovery Center helps you develop the abilities you need to stay clean and manage your day-to-day life in a healthy manner. Our program is part of a comprehensive relapse prevention plan that helps you live a more fulfilling life.
If addiction can tear your life down, life skills training can build you back up so that you learn how to manage the many aspects of your life. Training can include a wide range of areas such as trigger resistance, decision making, personal self-management, social skills, financial decisions, or critical thinking skills.
Crucial Areas in Life Skill Training
If you are going to re-enter your normal life after rehab, you must understand the key areas where relapse can occur. Below are some of the life skills that we teach you at our life skills training program in Northern IL including:
- Resistance to Triggers: The essential skills you need to learn are how to resist triggers and temptations that come your way every day of your life. Certain people, objects, places, or events can all trigger a craving. We teach you how to identify the triggers and what to do when you face one.
- Decision Making: Every decision you make in your life will either build you up or tear you down. Some decisions will lead you back to your addiction. Therefore, we teach you how to make a decision that will help you and your family. We can help you distinguish between destructive short-term decisions and more healthy long-term decisions.
- Self-Management: One of the reasons why you have fallen into addiction is because you have not learned how to take care of yourself. Self-management involves learning how to eat right, exercise, avoid isolation, set goals, act professionally at your job, or manage your mental health issues. It can encompass a broad scope of areas in your life.
- Social Communication: Feeling socially awkward or inadequate can both lead to addiction or become worse because of addiction. By working with a Northern Illinois Recovery Center therapist, you can improve your ability to listen and to communicate. You can discover practical ways to share your feeling and channel your emotions.
Setting Goals and Staying Accountable
One of the best ways to establish healthy accountability is to set goals and then create benchmarks that help you reach them. Setting goals is not only crucial for your recovery but also your life. What is it that you want to accomplish? What steps do you take to get there? How do you measure your success?
Also, who are you accountable to that can help you reach your goals? Whether you are looking to stay sober for 90 days or look beyond your recovery to succeed in other areas of your life, setting goals can give you something to reach for. Our skills training class can teach you how to set and achieve your goals. The more empowered you are, the less likely you are to fall back into relapse.
Life Skills Training Program as a Part of Your Rehab
Remember, no matter how lofty your goals are, the most thing to remember is how to stay clean so that you can get to where you want to be. For this reason, we combine life skills training with other areas of your rehab to form an umbrella relapse prevention plan. Some of the different treatment options that we offer include:
- Drug or alcohol detox center
- Intensive outpatient program and partial hospitalization program
- Extended aftercare and sober living program
- Individual therapy program, group therapy program, and family therapy program
- Evidence-based therapy
- Holistic treatment options
To find out more about the treatment options at Northern Illinois Recovery Center, call us at 855.786.1978. You can accelerate your recovery by participating in our life skills training program. Your road to recovery begins today.