Stress is part of life. As you go on with your daily life, it’s impossible to control everything according to your expectations. It’s common to experience stress, especially when you’re under pressure to achieve individual or career goals. Fear is healthy when it occurs at reasonable levels, but when it goes beyond control and starts disorienting your life, it becomes risky. Watch out for the signs of stress that are affecting your productivity and seek prompt medical help at Northern Illinois Recovery Center.
What Is Stress?
According to WebMD, stress is the reaction of the body to harmful situations which can be real or perceived. When you face a threatening situation, your body initiates a stress response, seeking to prevent possible injuries or damages.
Several things happen during the reaction, such as an increased heart-rate, fast-paced breathing, tightening of muscles, and high blood pressure.
The Common Signs of Stress
How do you know that your stress is getting out of control and exposing you to health risks? The symptoms of poorly managed anxiety differ in people, depending on how their bodies respond to the situations.
People perceive stressful factors, events, and situations differently. For example, two people going through a stressful situation can respond in distinct ways, depending on how they understand it.
The common symptoms of stress include:
- Loss of interest in one’s usual activities, such as schoolwork or job responsibilities
- Unpredictable sleeping patterns, whereby one sleeps too much or not enough
- Feelings of sadness, anxiety, or panic attacks
- Chronic and unexplained headaches
- Excessive fatigue, even after resting
- Lack of appetite or abnormally increased appetite
- Being restless, irritable, and frequently angry
Managing Your Stress Levels
If you identify with the signs of stress as mentioned above, it means your situation is getting out of control. Therefore, you need to take swift action to manage the condition before it deteriorates into depression. You’ll enjoy a healthy life when you take the correct steps to manage your stress. Consider exploring several useful stress management techniques:
- Regular exercise: Besides being the best method to keep ailments like cardiovascular conditions and diabetes at bay, regular exercise is also crucial in managing stress. Exercising pre-occupies your mind and distracts you from the toxic thoughts that cause stress.
- Relaxation techniques: You can enhance your mental wellness through deep breathing, massage, Tai Chi, Yoga, and meditation.
- Maintain a good sense of humor: The immediate remedy to stress is finding something that will light up your mood and make you forget the stressful thoughts. Friends, workmates, and family members with a good sense of humor play a massive role in warming your feelings.
- Indulge in healthy hobbies: It would help if you have time to do what you like most. For example, you can read the latest novel, go to the cinema to watch a trending movie, or take a trip to the hilly countryside and enjoy the serene environment.
Seek Professional Help at Rehab
If you’ve taken all the steps to relax your mind, but your chronic stress doesn’t go away, visit the Northern Illinois Recovery Center. Our health care experts will assess you to establish the possible cause of your stress. It’s essential to see a counselor or therapist who can identify your underlying problem accurately.
After examining you, we’ll recommend the appropriate coping strategies for your stress or direct you to join treatment programs, including:
- Depression treatment program
- Intensive outpatient program
- DUI rehab program
- Telehealth rehab program
- Opiate addiction treatment
- Alcohol addiction treatment
- PTSD treatment program
Find the Support You Need at Northern Illinois Recovery Center
Don’t let stress interfere with your happiness in life. Contact us today at 855.786.1978 to learn more about the signs of stress and effective treatment programs for your condition.